Natural gas can be used in all classes of vehicles: motorcycles, cars, vans, trucks, buses, lift trucks, locomotives, ships and ferries. Natural gas can be used either by converting an existing gasoline or diesel engine, or by using a purpose built natural gas engine.
According to NGV Global (the leading authority on NGVs), benefits of natural gas vehicles include:
- Reduced particulate and NOx (Nitrogen Oxides) emissions
- Reduced greenhouse gas emissions
- Widespread availability of natural gas
- Lower cost
- Can be derived from renewable sources (biogas)
- Technically proven
- Available now
- Can be used in all vehicle classes
- Minimal processing or refining requirements
- Safer than most liquid fuels
- Can be refueled at home or workplace
- Noise reductions of as much as 50%
- Reduced engine wear
With these benefits, it’s easy to see why natural gas vehicle (NGV) numbers have more than doubled in the last 5 years alone. There are currently more than 12 million NGVs worldwide (October 2010) and NGV Global is projecting that this will increase at least ten-fold, to 50 million vehicles by 2020.